It’s no secret that we’ve had a rough year. With the many tragedies that our world has faced in the last several months, we have seen many organizations step up and give back to the community. This got me thinking that it’s important to shine a spotlight on some of our favorite businesses, especially local ones, that regularly invest back into our city. As we enter the busiest shopping season of the year, make lists for expecting moms, pick out birthday or special event gifts, let’s try to support those these wonderful businesses who are doing so much for Milwaukee and beyond!
Milwaukee Shopping Guide :: Businesses That Give Back
- Flowers for Dreams is a Chicago-based flower delivery service that just opened deliveries in Milwaukee. With every bouquet purchased, money is donated to a charity that the business is partnering with. In August, every Wisconsin bouquet purchased bought a backpack with school supplies for a Milwaukee Public School student in need. These bouquets are gorgeous, so head over to their website to check them out and see what charities they are currently working with.
- I have found that one of the best gifts to send families is that of a good meal. The Real Good Life is a favorite of the MkeMB Contributor team. Not only does she have the best gooey desserts, but her menus are well-balanced and provide healthy comfort. A percentage of every order goes to the Hunger Task Force and the entrees are delivered right to the front door. Plus, the word on the street is that the delivery area is poised to be expanding in the New Year!
- The “Buy 1, Give 1” model isn’t new but we love that a local small business has adopted it. MKE Outfitters is helping Milwaukee is such an amazing way. Did you know that, oftentimes, children who are placed into foster care often don’t have a change of clothes with them? MKE Outfitters strives to provide the kids with a new, fresh shirt to wear. For every shirt purchase, you’ll be donating a shirt to the wonderful mission. We love the local feel of these shirts and they make wonderful gifts!
- Baby Jack & Co. is a local Milwaukee company designing comfort blankets and toys that encourage early learning of animals, shapes and raising cause awareness important to our customers like police, fire, military, CHD, childhood cancer and premature birth. Baby Jack has given back to more than 3,000 families with their Kindness Project. Every purchase helps a child in need. Often, they run a Buy One/Give One campaign where a learning lovey is donated to a child in need. This holiday season, use code GIVING to get free shipping and make sure a lovey is donated!
- Outpost Natural Foods works to build the community through various charitable relationships, including Hunger Task Force events throughout the year, Outpost Community Partners, and Co-op Community Fund just to name a few. Outpost also contributes to several other local non-profits. Stop in at one of their convenient locations or check their websites for the current initiatives.
- Ink to the People is a favorite of MkeMB and they have partnered with us on several of our t-shirt campaigns. What I love about this online retailer is that you are supporting a local business but also contributing to one of the many fundraisers. Ink to the People is always on my list because they are working to support meaningful causes. Not only are the shirts great quality but they serve in sparking conversations about what you’re passionate about!
- DreamBikes – Milwaukee is a local non-profit full-service bicycle shop that sells refurbished bikes. Stores are purposefully placed in low-to-moderate income neighborhoods to provide hands-on, paid job training to teens. Stop into their Milwaukee location and have a look!
- The Waxwing is one of the team’s favorite places for gift-buying. They have great Milwaukee gifts and this local small business provides space for local artisans to display their creations. You are sure to find everything you need for your gift giving list, while supporting small business!
- Blutender: Blu at the Pfister – Looking for a fancy night out? Think about a Blutender event! Blu at the Pfitser hosts Bluetender events that benefit a local non-profit. You’ll enjoy drinks served by Celebrity bartenders that are ‘tending for a cause! Check their website for more details!